What is the Five First Saturdays Devotion?
During her third apparition, on July 13, 1917, the Blessed Virgin announced that she would come to ask for “…the Communion of reparation on the first Saturdays.”
Thus, on December 10, 1925, the Blessed Virgin, with the Child Jesus at her side, appeared to Lucy in her cell at the Dorothean house of Pontevedra (Spain) saying:
“My daughter, look at my Heart surrounded with the thorns with which ungrateful men pierce me constantly through blasphemies and ingratitude. You, at least, try to console me, and tell people that I promise to assist at the hour of death with the graces necessary for salvation all those who, on the first Saturdays of five consecutive months:
* receive Holy Communion,
* pray five decades of the Rosary,
* and keep me company for a quarter of an hour meditating on the fifteen mysteries with the intention of offering me reparation.”
On February 15, 1926, the Child Jesus again appeared to Lucy and she presented him with the problem that going to confession on Saturdays was a difficulty for some people and requested that a confession within a period of eight days before and eight days after the first Saturday be valid. Jesus answered, “Yes, it can even be within many more days, provided they are in the state of grace when they receive Me and have the intention of offering reparation to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.”
Why five saturdays?
Many asked this question. Our Blessed Lord answered that question when He appeared to Sr. Lucy May 29, 1930: “
My daughter, the reason is simple. There are five kinds of offenses and blasphemies committed against the Immaculate Heart of Mary:
– Blasphemies against the Immaculate Conception.
– Blasphemies against Her perpetual Virginity.
– Blasphemies against Her divine Maternity, while refusing at the same time to recognize Her as the Mother of men.
– The blasphemies of those who seek publicly to sow in the hearts of children indifference or scorn, or even hatred towards this Immaculate Mother.
– The offenses of those who outrage Her directly in Her holy Images.
(Cf. Memórias e Cartas da Irmã Lúcia, Porto, 1973)
For large quantity, please contact us at 905-939-0807